- Go to Administration | Reports
- Filter by Name to keep the list small
- Create a blank new report
- Add a query
- Select a few columns
- Download the RDL template. The RDL template will contain sample data. This data helps to preview the report in the designer.
- Open and the RDL template in report builder
- Use the online tutorial pages on the internet to see what you can do with RDL based reports (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd239338.aspx)
- Tips for report builder: Make sure to open the properties window (in the View tab on the toolbar), and preview the report in the report builder using the Run command.
- Upload the template back into the report
- Download the report from FBO One in the Reports Page
Below is the above process outlined in screenshots
Go to Administration | Reports
Filter by Name to keep the list small
Create a blank new report
Add a query
Select the dataset query and the data columns that you need in your report
Add a few parameter values to be displayed
Download the RDL template. The RDL template will contain sample data. This data helps to preview the report in the designer.
In order to download the RDL template the "Add RDL Template" and then the "Generate template" link on the following screen.
Note: Selecting a large time span may cause issues when running the report in the RDL Editor.
It will open up a new page containing all the filter fields in order to generate a proper template.
By clicking on the "Download report builder template" a file will be prompted for saving.
The "Show in Report Viewer" viewer opens a new page depicting the generated report based on the entered filter values.
Open and the RDL template in report builder
The image above depicts the newly generated report template viewed in Microsoft SQL Server Report Builder tool.
On the left side of the image appear 2 data sets:
- "OrdersDataProviderRow" is the data set holding the report values
- "filterValues_OrdersDataProviderRow" is a one line data set, containing (if specified in the report administration section) the entered filter values. If the filter values are not specified to be displayed in the report, then the values within its data set will be empty
The center contains working area and the report objects that will hold and display the data (in this case 2 tables)
The left side depicts in this case the properties window, showing the properties of the currently selected item.
The following steps are taken in the Report Builder in order to shape the template into the desired format:
- we removed the automatically added filter table (done this by selecting it and hitting delete)
- changed the table header and added a background and fore color (done this by using the existing tools in the Home tab)
- added the arrival and departure filter values by dragging them from their data set and dropping them into the report
- added for each filter value its own label so we can know what the depicted values represent (done this by using the TextBox feature from the Insert tab)
- arranged the header and row layout by using the tools provided in the Home tab
- added an expression so that the row background colors do alternate between rows (done this by selecting the row and hitting the expression option in the colors list)
- end result before hitting the RUN button in the Home tab looking like the following:
Before applying changes
After applying changes
Upload the template back into the report
In order to upload the report template the "Upload template" link in the report administration section must be clicked
A new page is being loaded were the upload of the template file and automatic assignment to the selected report can be done
By clicking on the OK button the user will be redirected to report administration page and the new template is going to be attached to the desired report definition
Download the report from FBO One in the Reports Page
In order to view and also download into Excel or PDF the desired report, users can go to interactive reports and use keywords to find the report. Click on the report name to open the filter and run the report.
By doing so the filter parameters screen will be shown (the same as the one mentioned above).
After entering the filter parameter values and clicking the "Download report" button a new page will be shown containing the report shown in the format described in the uploaded template.
In order to download the Excel or PDF version of the report users have to click "save" button in report viewer, were they will have the opportunity to choose from the provided formats.
You can also download the report file used in this briefing from here: Orders [custom]_Template (1).rdl